Wednesday, January 8, 2014

WEEK 1 - MATTIMEO by Brian Jacques || Northern Illinois Food Bank

It's been a cold and snowy first week of 2014, there's no denying that, but the bitter weather encourages me to stay indoors and read! This first week I knocked out a pretty easy paperback and a flashback from my childhood, and it's just as suspenseful and exciting as I remember! This book was only about 446 pages, but I wish it could have gone on... oh wait, that's what the other books in the series are for! <3 I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that I think that about 1/5th of the pages are descriptions of amazing Redwall Abbey food, or discussions held over such feasts. Ooh, I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it!

Woodland critters gotta eat, y'know! Source: here. 
Speaking of hunger, the charity of the week is the Northern Illinois Food Bank. With a pristine four-star rating from Charity Navigator, this is a great place to put your money. The organization is a large umbrella group that distributes food and funds to banks and pantries all over northern Illinois, which is good because I was looking for a place that helps both of my homes: Lombard and Rock Island, Illinois, which are on opposite sides of the state.

This Christmas was the first time I ever did the selfless thing of asking for donations to the NIFB instead of presents. And though only two of my relatives listened to me (it was my bad, I was probably too late in getting the word out) I think it is a tradition I will continue. I don't really need all that much stuff in my life - I could probably do with a lot less! And putting the money somewhere where it will help people immediately instead of in the pockets of retailers makes me feel better.

So I've chipped in 10 bucks to the Northern Illinois Food Bank. If you too have donated, please feel free to drop an anonymous note in the comments or email me and I'll add you to the total donated! Thank you!

Tune in next week to see what book I've read and what charity I've donated to! :)


2014 TOTALS:
Pages read: 446
Dollars Donated: 10.00

No comments:

Post a Comment